Do you have skills you want to work on? Goals you’d like to achieve? We all do. But: do you have a personalized professional development plan that incorporates all those goals into an achievable learning path? If not, you should consider creating one.
What is personalized professional development?
Professional development is the act of learning in order to gain skills or credentials necessary to succeed in the workplace. There are formal and structured professional development opportunities like academic degrees and certification programs. But it can also include informal or more unstructured learning experiences like video series, and reading texts related to your industry.
- Decide what you need to work on
- Identify learning opportunities
- Set specific goals and map out when they need to happen
- Make those goals happen
While the steps seem straightforward, there are some challenges that come with personalized professional development:
- Choosing the right learning opportunities
- Keeping up with learning goals
- Staying on track
- Evaluating results
Luckily, there are resources out there that will help you. One of these resources is our Growplaceless Remote Career Development Program.
When you don’t have a career trajectory clearly laid out, it can be challenging to figure out what to work on and how. Use as many resources as you have available to you to determine what you should work.
Having trouble deciding on the skills you’d like to develop? Try asking a mentor to help guide you — some of the questions you could ask include:
- What do you wish you knew when you were at the stage that I am at?
- What is a topic that you think everyone should learn?
- Do you foresee any topics as being especially helpful to me in the future?
- In your view, what are some of the things that are holding me back?
By creating a personalized development plan you’re more likely to achieve your goals and advance your remote career.
Our Growplaceless Remote Career Development program guides you through four modules with personalized assignments to build out the key components of your development plan.
- Goal Setting
- Relationship Building
The outcome of the course if your personalized professional development plan.